I just read of a Japanese proverb which goes something like; “you have three faces, – the first you show the world, the second you show to those closest to you, and the third you never show anyone…this is the truest reflection of yourself.”
What do you think about that?
Well I’m not so sure, people often bandy around the expression “two faced” with differing levels of severity; ranging from iconic comic book villain, to your husband/wife sleeping with the neighbour for twenty years. But the truth is we all wear a whole host of different masks – we are each our own personal halloween costume store, and we pick and choose a different guise as and when necessary.
For your viewing pleasure why don’t you take a little tour around my little internal shop? Let’s see what you may find! :
1. The “I just ate an entire large pizza by myself, but I’m not even sorry” face:
2. The “what you said wasn’t remotely funny, but I’m trying to spare your feelings” face:
3. The “why are you distracting me from writing with YouTube videos?” face:
4. The “hello little old lady, I promise I’m not one of those hooligan/thug kids you hear about” face:
5. The “kindergarten teacher” face, aka – the “John Lee Taggart”:
Clearly there are many, many, many more…but I am sure there are other stores to visit, and perhaps you are a little peckish – so off you pop, and come again soon! I get a new collection of masks every month!
But what about you? Come onnnnnn…honesty is the best policy!